Saturday, April 27, 2013

Zebra Birthday Cake

We've all seen those crazy awesome cakes on Pinterest that we wish we could make, but know it'll never happen in a million years.

Well, for my daughters' joint little family party Wednesday night I attempted one of the easier of those cakes and Thank Heaven it turned out great! 

It was a pain in the butt to make, but my girls were amazed by it's awesomeness and I earned the "Best Mommy Ever" award for the night. I consider that well worth the pain-in-the-buttness.



^See the joy on their faces? I just love that. It's what makes the tediousness, money, mess, and cleanup all worth it :)

********************

So what you'll need is 2 cake mixes. It doesn't matter what brand kind you use as long as they are two different colors. You can also use food coloring with white cake and make a multicolor zebra cake which is super fun, but at my house we try to stay away from a lot of artificial colors and dyes except for special occasions. I use Duncan Hines because most of their mixes have no dairy. This time I chose Classic White and Devil's Food for black (brown) and white stripes.


 I forgot to take in between pictures... sorry :/
Make the cake mixes as it says on the box, adding water, oil, and eggs in the appropriate amounts and mixing well.


 So this was when it had been in the oven for a few minutes. (I forgot to take a before the oven pic... pregnancy brain!) 
My center kind of ended up on the side, but hey, it was my first try! lol So basically what I did was use a quarter cup measuring cup and started with chocolate. I added a quarter cup to the center of the prepared pan. (sprayed and floured) Then I poured a quarter cup of white on top of the center of the chocolate layer, and then another quarter cup of chocolate, repeating the pattern till about half of both mixes were in the pan.

By then there was quite a bit of mix in the pan and I didn't want to cake to be too big for the pan. Every few pours I picked up the pan and dropped it gently onto the counter to make sure the mix wasn't getting to high up that I couldn't add the next layer. I hope that makes sense!


Since I had leftover batter I made half chocolate half white cupcakes.

 ^This is what the cake turned out looking like when it came out of the oven. Pretty nifty looking. And these below are what the cupcakes looked like baked. They kind of look like I added chocolate chips or something, but I didn't :)


 I was BEYOND excited (almost as much as my girls!) to cut the cake. Not only was my pregnant self excited to get a slice of that delicious goodness, but I really wanted to see if the center had turned out as pictured in the other zebra cakes I'd seen.

IT TOTALLY DID!

I was so happy, and my girls thought it was the coolest thing since non-dairy cookies they could actually eat. What a great end to a fun Birthday Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment