Sunday, January 16, 2011

How to Spice Up Frozen Taquitos

When I go grocery Shopping I always buy the 60 pack of frozen chicken taquitos for those nights when I don't feel like going all out on dinner. A couple of weeks ago I was wondering how I could turn these taquitos into a worth while meal that my husband would love, so in this post I'm going to share what I did that my husband did, in fact, love.
For my family of four (well, three and a half) I cooked 30 in the oven. The tops and ends get a little crispy when you bake them instead of cook them in the oven. And DON'T fry them! Ruins the flavor and adds a terrible amount of fat. I mean, if you don't care, you can fry them, but I don't like that :)

You will also need:
1 can of refried beans, some of your favorite salsa or picante sauce, shredded cheese, and sour cream or sour cream dip. (the chive and onion is really good) Want to make your own? See the note at the bottom.

So all you do is cook the taquitos and the beans. Then put 6-7 cooked taquitos on a plate and smear refried beans all over them, top them with plenty of salsa, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream on top. (We used tofu cheese and sour cream, a great alternative) Easy, but can you say tasty? I used to just serve these with salsa for dipping and maybe some cheese shreds, but this is so much better!

*A tip for you if you're not a refried beans fan. Substitute one can of black beans, cook all the contents of the can then drain and blend together well in a food processor. You can stop there, but I like to add a little bit of salt and pepper as well.

Note: To make your own chive and onion cream cheese mix 1-8 oz container of cream cheese with 1 tsp garlic powder and 2 tbsp of dried chives and vwala! Chive and Onion Cream Cheese w/out the hassle of the store not having the flavor you want.

1 comment:

  1. So it says you use garlic powder to make your own chive and onion sour cream! Wouldn't you onion powder? If using garlic then it would be garlic and chives. Am I not wrong?

    ReplyDelete