Monday, December 13, 2010

Can you tell the difference?

I made burgers for dinner tonight! Each side is different, can you tell why?

You guessed it! On the left side are hamburgers and on the right are turkey burgers.
But what is the difference really? There's a slight difference in taste, beef is a little darker than turkey, but is there anything else? YES THERE IS!

As a mother my job is to help provide and care for my family, and one of the main things I do is feed everyone! I try to be pretty health conscious which is hard sometimes, but for the most part it's not really as bad as people make it out to be. Which is why choosing turkey over beef was an easy decision for me. Maybe after reading this information you'll agree with me.


Cost
I buy my turkey burger in 1 lb frozen rolls from Walmart or Smiths. (it depends on how far I want to drive that day) At Walmart it costs $1.86 per roll and at Smiths it costs $1.99 per roll. I've never been able to find the same amount in beef that costs under $2.00.

Nutrition
In one 16oz frozen roll of turkey burger there is 170 calories, 13g of fat, 110mg of cholesterol, and 19 grams of protein. (I took that strait off the label of a frozen roll in my freezer (turkey and natural seasonings), Jennie-O brand.) In 4oz of frozen ground beef there is 290 calories, 23g of fat, 75mg of cholesterol, and 21g of protein. So while beef has more protein, turkey is definitely the healthier option. (I also took this strait off the label of frozen ground beef patties in my freezer (all beef), Great Value brand.)

Cooking
As far as cooking goes, you can pretty much use both ground beef or turkey in any recipe that calls for ground meat. So there's really no difference there. In my personal opinion though, I prefer cooking w/ Turkey burger as there is less grease than with beef.

Taste
I've heard several people say that cooking with turkey instead of beef is sacrificing flavor, but I would have to disagree. I've also heard that you have to add more seasonings to turkey than to beef because it is more bland in flavor. Once again, I disagree. I season my turkey and beef the same way and altho I can tell a difference in the taste of the actual meat there is no "sacrificing of flavor" and once again, there is less grease in the turkey. So you may disagree, but I think turkey wins again!

I hope you enjoyed reading my blog! Feel free to stop by any time :)

This is also posted in another blog of mine. To view this and other posts in my life as a mother blog click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment